Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dead Sea Scrolls + Dead Sea

After leaving Masada, we headed over to Qumran, which is where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found in 1947. Finding these scrolls was the "most significant archeological find of the 20th century"-pretty cool! Most of the scrolls are now in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.

The scrolls were found high up in these rocks.
The whole gang...

Next stop...the Dead Sea for a quick swim. Since I had recently swam in it with my family, I opted out for the day. Micah was scared to death of the Dead Sea last time, but this time, he couldn't get enough. He cried when he had to get out. Thankfully, he didn't get any of the water in his eyes this time around-I'm sure that was a major reason he disliked it so much last time.

Something pretty neat is that on the opposite side of the Dead Sea in this picture is the Marriott on the Jordanian side. That is where my family went the month before to swim. I had no idea we were right across from it until our guide pointed it out.

Tim, Levi, and Anna

Our friends, Micah and Luke, playing in the mud :)

A sweet picture of Lottie and Granddaddy


No comments: