Friday, March 20, 2009

What's This?

A stick, duh! Well, yes, but it is so much more than just a "stick"! This stick, also called Miswak, is what our people use as their "toothbrush". It has been used for years and years among the Muslim community. Apparently it is a religious thing as the Koran tells them to use it 5x a day before praying.  When I first saw that they used this, I was shocked and anxious to educate them on better ways to clean their teeth. In the end, I think it was me who got the education! 

As most of you know, I have been teaching a health class here in Africa along with a friend. Recently we taught on oral hygiene and proper dental care. As I prepared for our lesson, I did a lot of research on the Miswak. And to my surprise...it actually cleans your teeth pretty well. The stick contains a natural amount of fluoride and cleans between your teeth better than a toothbrush. The other benefits are that you don't need water and it is easy to carry around. I did read that if used for too many years it could stain your teeth. I also read that it works best when paired with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Anyway, I found this very fascinating and just thought I would share! Hope I educated you a little too :)

1 comment:

Lauren Williams said...

Kari! that is hilarious about the toothbrush! thanks for the info! love you, well have to chat when i get back!